March 18, 2021

What is an allotment in the UK?

I watch a lot of British tv shows. I sincerely think I was born in the wrong country as I find the British shows better than American ones. I know that sounds horrible, but to me it's true. 

One thing that I have seen in the shows is garden allotments. These allotments are beautiful! Filled with flowers or all sizes and colors and fruits and veggies, etc! I would love to wander through one and actually smell the flowers and tasting the sweetness of the fruits growing there..

Here in the USA we have community gardens that are normally owned and run by charities or small community groups. These gardens are also a group effort and there tends to me no allotments handed out to individuals.  

I have been looking for them as this gal has a black thumb when it comes to keeping plants alive. My plant Fred is alive at the moment. Not sure how long though. As I said I have a black thumb when it comes to keeping plants alive. lol

Back to allotments. 
Allotments are big plots of land that are divided up in sections to be used for planting fruits, flowers to veggies. A person can rent a section to use for planting. Some of them are used for bee keeping as well. This I think is great as the bees can pollinate the garden plots. 

Check out this page for more information on allotments in the UK.



No comments:

Post a Comment