March 17, 2023

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 

When you're a little one in school you learn about the fun side of St Patrick's Day. Leprechauns and rainbows with pots of gold at the end and wearing green and you know just all the fun stuff four leaf clover hunting and stuff like that. 

When I was younger I love Saint Patrick's Day wearing green and going Shamrock hunting and hunting for leprechauns and hoping that it rains so that rainbows come out and a rainbow will end right in your backyard leaving you a great big pot of gold at the end of it. 

As I got older I learned about the real history of St Patrick's Day. St Patrick is actually the patron saint of Ireland he was born in the late 14th century in Roman Britain and at the age of 16 he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a slave.

 He escaped being a Slave but he returned to convert the Irish to Christianity. By the time of his death on March 17th he had established numerous monasteries churches as well as schools and there were many legends that grew up around him like how he drove the snakes out of Ireland and used Shamrocks to explain what the Trinity was.

I must admit that inner little girl in me is still prays for rain and hopes that a rainbow ends in my backyard and that there's a pot of gold at the end. I look for four leaf clovers and I'm always on the lookout for a leprechaun or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment