March 29, 2017

Family Loyalty

This is a prompt a friend gave me.. to write a story using only conversations..
here's what I came up with..

Rating: PG
Word Count: 874

"Well, look who the cat dragged in, long time no see little brother. I would give you a hug, but unfortunately I have a cold. How are you doing, Evan?"

"Hey there sis, yeah it's me. I'm doing good. You did invite me to dinner if I'm not mistaken."

"Of coure your not mistaken, now get in here. Care for a drink on the back patio, the weather is lovely this time of year. So how have you been, are you working yet?"

"I am actually so there's no need for a lecture in that aspect of my life. I found a job that gives me the freedom to make my own schedule and well I'm my own boss. The pay is good as well. I can honestly say I love my job."

"So you won't be asking me for money every three weeks, that's a shock to the system.. do tell me about this fantastic job you love doing so much."

"I work with people, I'm kind of like a problem solver so to speak. I put an end to other peoples problems and get paid handsomly to do so."

"Intriguing, tell me more.. it sounds like your walking on the dark side little brother."

" When have I not wandered around the dark side my dear Grace. The pay is great, you know I have almost as much money as you do. I rather enjoy being wealthy, now I can see why you like this lifestyle so much."

"How do you solve problems? Why not let people solve their own problems? I do enjoy my life style, no worries, Arnold does enough of that for both of us so I don't have to."

"I see, wise choice there on your half. The marriage is good I take it, last time we spoke you two were heading down the splitsville road. You were plotting to clean him out."

"We have come to the conclusion that if we were to divorce, I would walk away with everything. He would have nothing seeing as how he signed over major shares of his stock to myself and the house and cars are in my name.. So he has his pathetic little fligs outside of work. As long as he doesn't bring anyone home, we're ok."

"It's good to see he's not in trouble with the cops anymore.. embezzling from an employer is never good. nice to see he was able to start his own company.."

"Yes well we both know I only married him for his money and vice versa.. he never was the brightest crayon in the box so to speak. I must say though, his stupidity amuses me at times."

"True, we have had laughs at the dinner table from his ramblings, his 'Things I bet you didn't know..' "

"Evan dear, are you working on someone's problem at the moment?"

"I do have one I was asked to take care, my client was very adamant about me getting it done tonight."

"Evan dear.. do I know this client of yours?"

"Yes my dear Grace, I'm afraid you do. Your married to him. Say is dinner ready yet, I'm famished!"

"Well I suppose working on an empty stomach isn't very appealing, let me go check on it."

"Took you long enough, Gracie. Is everything ok?"

"Whatever that louse of a husband of mine is paying you.. I'll double it."

"He gave me $50 thousand. You on the other hand hand don't have to pay me anything.. your my sister. I must admit when Arnie boy realized it was me, the many expressions that crossed his face was priceless."

"None the less a deal was made.."

"Yes a deal was made that I would take care of the problem. I told him I knew of the problem and would deal with it. I must say the money he gave me will come in useful."

"So what are your plans for me then?"

"My plans are to eat a wonderful dinner with my big sister and then afterwards I plan to catch a plane to Europe. I've always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower."

"Yes, Europe is lovely in the spring."

"I think you should come along Gracie, we haven't been on a trip together in years... it looks like we have company."

"Officer Johansen, what brings you here?"

"Mrs. LaCroix, I'm here on official business.. one of the secretaries at your husbands office went in to retrieve a file she had forgotten, she found the light on in your husbands office."

"Yes Arnold is working late tonight, I'm expecting him home anytime."

"Yeah about that.. it appears your husband comitted suicide.. a gunshot to the temple, his hand was still holding the gun.."

"Oh dear, how horrible.. how can he do this to me?"

"Mrs. LaCroix do you have someone who can stay with you tonight?"

"Yes of course, my brother is here with me.. thank you officer."

"Hmm... what's for dessert gracie?"

"How did you do that?"

"Do what? I did nothing, I've been with you this whole time. I did tell him how much I loved you and how I looked forward to dinner and lots of interesting conversations. Now about that trip to Paris.."

No comments:

Post a Comment