January 31, 2018

Writing prompt: Freedom


The Protagonist: Lenora, who loves to travel
His/Her Goal: to be wild and free
The Obstacle: insecurities and fear of the unknown
The Action: learns to drive
No natural conclusion? new friend named Catherine
Here's my response...
Lenora waited anxiously as she stood in line to get her ticket. She had never been anywhere alone before. The ticket was bought and paid for, all she had to do was pick it up at the desk.

Her dog and her bags were sitting at her side, the bags bumping into her leg as the child behind her kicked at them out of sheer boredom. She didn't mind at all because she and her baby were finally free.

Lenora boarded the train with her ticket in hand and her baby walking beside her with his little vest on. Their compartment was 3B, a good sized room with space for them both.  They were finally free to do what they wanted, go where they wanted, when they wanted to do it.

The divorce from her husband was a bitter one, luckily she had a damn good attorney so she cleaned out the pockets of her ex hubby. She got the house, the car and the dog, while he found himself living with his controlling mother.

She sold everything except for her dog and they boarded a train. Where they were going they didn't know, but they were together and they were doing things on their own terms and they were free.
Lenora watched the other passengers pass by her doorway toward their compartments.

A woman who looked to be in her mid 30's entered the one across from her and smiled as she put her luggage down. She introduced herself as Catherine.

As the train took off, Lenora pulled out a drivers manual and sat in the chair next to her window, the scenery passing by her and her pup was curled up on the bed sleeping peacefully.

Catherine knocked and entered the room, Lenora smiled and held up the booklet said "After my husband and I married, I wanted to learn to drive and he said no. He always insisted on doing the driving. So now I figure I'm single and it's time I learned to take care of us in every way, shape and form.. I want to learn to drive so I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment